Thursday, March 1, 2012

Time to go to school

As Nadia is turning 3 soon, one of the most frequent question we get asked is when are we sending Nadia to school and which school is she going to..



The when? The husband and I decided that insyallah Nadia will start attending school next year when she is already 3 and hopefully by then fully potty trained cause we really do not want her to go to school in her diapers..



Where? We have had many discussion on this topic with many fellow parents and we have yet to come to a conclusion on which school to send to.. So decided to google and read up on the matter..



First is to determine what you want in the school. When we were growing up the emphasis was placed on academic where creative learning was centred around art classes. I don’t know if I will turn out any different if more emphasis was placed on creative learning but there is now a bigger push for it. So I would like the school to place equal emphasis on academic, creative and other activities like sports.

What are my options? As much as I love living in Tutong but it does leave us with limited options for schools. Daily commutes for the little child is (so far) a definite no for us because we don’t want them feeling tired and in case of emergencies it might be hard to manage whereas if they go to school in Tutong, despite my being in BSB, I can seek assistance with my relatives.



Government vs Private schools? When I was younger I went to Tutong Public school and then at Primary 2 moved to Pertama School and after PCE (now known as PSR) I moved to Sufri Bolkiah.. Hubs went to Nusa Laila I think until he was in Primary 6 and then moved on to SM RIPAS. Dad says that its better if we send them to a private school when they are younger as it creates a good foundation. I don’t know if I agree with him.. but for now, next year anyways, we have to send Nadia to a government school as they will only take students when they are 5 or 6? (Teachers please correct me if I am wrong..) Oh one thing to add though is that in Gov’t school, all the teachers are certified teachers where they studied teaching physiology and things like that however in private schools, the teacher’s qualification is on the grey side.

My criteria for evaluations:

· Location

· Hygiene

· Average number of students in a class

· Number of teachers per class

· Creative learning

· Academic learning

· Physical learning



So here are my options and I will make sure to go for a visit at each school soon.. Hopefully by September we will be able to narrow down to one school..

1. Nurul Falah, Penanjong

2. Nusa Jaya, Keriam

3. Chung Hwa, Tutong Town


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: