Friday, July 3, 2009

to walker or not..

I wrote a couple of post ago re my short investigation of the above item for my darling daughter and how I was shocked to read that giving a baby a walker is like giving a teenager a Ferarri. Well I did more research (which involves a lot of googling) that the accidents that happens to babies and walkers happen because there is lack of supervision. The kind of accidents are when the baby takes up too much speed, fall down the stairs and topple over when they try to reach for something. Apprently Canada has now banned the sale of baby walkers.

The husband and I talked (more like I talk, he listens LOL) about buying an alternative toy for Dia like an exerciser but Husband is admant on not buying her one and just buying her a walker. Even after i told him that research says that introducing the baby a walker will actually delay walking by 2-3 weeks.

So we finally agreed on buying Dia a walker once and only once she started to crawl. Cos apparently some babies who was introduced to a walker before they can crawl skip the whole process all together..

We have also listed a few criteria of the walker in order to mitigate my fear of the said accidents. We will need to find a walker that has speed restricting wheels and a sturdy/heavy walker to avoid Dia toppling over. As for falling down the stairs, Dia will be playing in the downstairs area and there is one area which may be dangerous which is a 'step-down' in our living room. That can be blocked. Additionally the maid will be there to supervise. There! I made my peace.. So to walker it is..

Time to look for a nice, sturdy walker that has speed restricting wheels for Dia .. *tee hee*

No comments: