Sunday, August 7, 2011

Nursing and fasting

This is the third year of nursing and fasting.. I was reading up just to refresh my memories on the effects of fasting on BM and most research concludes that fasting has no effect on the macronutrients in a mothers BM content and consequently it has no effects on growth and weight in the infants who consume those BM.. For that reason and also the fact that I do not want to miss out and have to qadha at a later stage, I decided to fast 3 yrs ago.. I had concerns whether I would be producing enough BM with lack of food intake but experience has shown me that there would be a decrease in production but milk would still be enough for the infant and alhamdulillah mengenyangkan both Nadia back then and sofiyya now.. Our Bs afterall cater to the needs of each children.. Currently I am still able to make 'extras' as I continue to express at midnight and in the morning when I wake up..

How does fasting and nursing effect me? I get hungry faster!! So what I try to do these days is eat as much as I can and drink liquids as much as I can! Sahur is also known as my mengasak time where I eat eat eat! And as for liquids, I drink at least a glass glass of water after each directfeed session, at least 3 glasses during Iftar and Sahur and many many glasses in between.. I had a crazy thought last night: 'wouldn't it be great if I can just IV drip them liquids in my body?' I told you it's a crazy thought! So what I do now is drink different types of drinks so i don't get bored of just water..

This is again just my practice and other mums out there may choose to not fast and nurse. Nursing and pregnant mothers are afterall allowed to not fast, so long as they repay the fast and pay fidyah..




My darling daughters decides to wake up and accompany us during sahur..

Oh took Chubby Cheeks to her appointment yesterday and she now weighs 5.205kg, 57.5cm in height.. Big growth spurt this month!! Alhamdulillah

No comments: