Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Storage Love!

When I first started on my breastfeeding journey and started storing my EBMS, I stored it using Glad’s freezer bags. A friend of mine recommended using that as it was pretty cheap and has double zip lock.. It can be found at supermarkets or convenient stores and I usually stock up on those bags.. But as time pass by I found that those bags are sometimes sold out and it takes a while for the supermarkets or convenient stores to stock them up. So I began to explore on other bags to be used.

The second bag I used was First Years EBM bags which I bought from triple star, costing approx $18.90 for 25 pieces which works out to about $0.72 per bag.. Besides the fact that it was a bit pricy for me, I didn’t really like the material. Found it a bit flimsy…



The third bag used was introduced to me by a friend and its called Autumnz.. It’s a Malaysian product and I can’t remember exactly how much it cost me at that time but I think it was approx $0.50 per bag. Material was thick however it only has a single zip lock, at that time. Considering it was cheap I was happy to continue on using it, just making sure I store my EBMs standing up and not lying flat. When we placed our 3rd batch of orders my friend noticed that the bags has a strong chemical smell.. SO we had no choice but to put forward a complain and look for other bags..

The fourth bag used was given to me by a friend. Its Lansinoh and this my friends is one of the best I have used so far and one of my favorites. I use them when I travel and I love that it says ‘my mommy’s milk’ on the bag! Hahaha Price wise it cost around $36 for a box of 50 in Mothercare which works out to approx $0.73 per bag.. a tad too pricy.. So have been looking for options to bring it to Brunei but shipping cost turns me off!



At this point I was spending quite a few bucks on EBM bags then my friend who introduced the Autumnz bag called me and told me that Autumnz is sending her a new batch of EBM bags.. I have been using them for a couple of days now and gotta tell u, I like it! The material remains thick compared to Lansinoh and First Years and it now has double zip lock!!! And a box of 25 pcs cost me $8.00 (including shipping) which works to about $0.30 per bag.. I know 30cents per bag sounds sikit but if you use 3 bags per day, 5 days per week for 30 days, that works out to $13.50!! (Yes I am stingy like that!! :P)


So am now a happy bunny and pray that Autumnz will keep up their quality and supply.. Am talking to some friends on possibility of bringing these bags into Brunei.. Would any of you be interested? Let me know.. you can leave a msg on the tag board or email me at nynani@gmail.com :)

On another note, Reading other mother’s blogs on how they store their EBM, I read that there is a product (at time of writing is still googling and trying to find out what its called) that allows you to store your EBM into 1oz cubes.. Kira mcm buat ice lah.. Once its frozen you can just place it in sip lock bags or containers and when its time to feed, you can take how many cubes you need and thaw them.. This has some nice merits for me but I suppose it will require better organization skills in terms of keeping track which cube came from which batch. And should there be power outage and EBM melts, you will have to re-freeze it all again.. This is an option that I would like to explore come the next child *tee hee*

Happy berpuasa y'all!

No comments: